World Vision Kenya is a leading non-governmental Christian humanitarian, relief, development and advocacy organization with projects in most parts of Kenya. We wish to urgently recruit a highly competent person to fill the following position within our organization.
Director, Integrated Ministry Program (to be based in Nairobi)
Leadership and Strategic Management
• Provide strong leadership and strategic management to the operations department.
• Ensure that integrated programmes (Transformational Development, Humanitarian Emergency and Action & Advocacy) are managed and executed well as per plans within time and budgets, meeting donor and community accountability.
• Advise, approve, and monitor operations budgets, funding, expenditures and execution.
• Ensure the WVK integrated Ministry programs are executed with excellence.
• Develop and implement strategies for intentional and mutual learning among operations staff between programs and between other regions (a wider geographical area).
• Provide oversight to operational risk management, including ensuring the implementation and maintenance of core security requirements
• Contribute to the effective oversight of disaster management and HEA functions, based on Partnership protocols and standards, including the development and implementation of a National office disaster preparedness plan.
• Ensure that the Food Assistance operations are well managed and program proposals that will lead to the transition of the food aid program to a rehabilitation and development phase developed & implemented.
• Quality sponsorship programmes reduced vulnerability and enhanced resilience of the community to deal with external shocks, natural disasters, conflicts and pandemics like HIV/AIDS.
• Ensure Sponsorship standards are adhered to, as well as ensuring that child sponsorship is managed to CWBT for transformation
• Model Christ-centered servant leadership and support spiritual development of his/her team
• Act as a role model in advocating/promoting the organization and stakeholder transformation according to organization’s vision and core values.
Strategy Development and Planning
• Contribute to the development of strategy, directions and key priorities of WV operations
• Develop a business plan for Operations in alignment with strategy and plans of other departments.
• Provide leadership and support for new programme development, improvement in programme quality and programme transition in line with business plan.
• Ensure the proper integration of Advocacy, HEA, sectoral programs and cross cutting themes (e,g, child protection, environmental & climate change, gender, Cc) in programming across all funding types.
• In partnership with the finance unit, ensure planning and budgeting process is aligned and operating smoothly.
Resource Acquisition and Management
• Develop and execute in collaboration with grants team, a strategy to diversify the WVK funding portfolio for WV, in terms of type and sources, especially from bilateral and multilateral sources, in close partnership with other NO Directors.
• Provide support in funding negotiations with support offices and other donors in coordination with PD&GA and in alignment with Regional Grants Acquisition & management Strategy & the Regional Working Group Decisions.
• Manage donor concerns (government/private donors and support offices) ensuring proper resolutions for both parties have been reached
• Provide support to PD&GA including pre-positioning of World Vision with in-country donor representatives, responding to appropriate request for applications for bilateral and multilateral sources in coordination with relevant SOs and management of grant funded programmes.
Accountability and Quality Assurance
• To ensure quality programming ), innovative designs, monitoring, evaluation, reflection, learning and reporting of all WVK’s programme interventions according to WV (including LEAP) and global standards, integrating the strategic focus areas; health-HIV/AIDS, education, economic development while incorporating . The ‘cross cutting’ strategic themes (peace building, gender, Christian commitments). And ensuring the WV 3 truck ministry; Transformational Development, Relief and Advocacy, that leads to sustainable livelihood for children and their communities.
• Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as Peer Reviews, Operational and Finance Audits, Programme evaluations, Programme Capability Reviews, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner.
• Ensure internal control systems are implemented to mitigate risks and ensure accountability that will result in good audit ratings
• Provide leadership to the management and stewardship of donor and organizational resources under the IMPD responsibilities
• In close collaboration with functional heads, ensure provision of good quality services to programmes, and programmes in turn follow Partnership standards, policies and protocols, including all relevant sections of the Field Financial Manual.
• In close collaboration with P&C, ensure right program staff are recruited, retained, and provided with intentional opportunities, mentoring and coaching for development.
• Ensure that programmes have adequate management and technical support in areas pertaining to finance, sponsor relations, DME, technical sectors, procurement, security, IT, communications and all sectoral areas.
Networking and Coordination
• Maintain effective communications and pro-active relationships with Support Office partners, including visits by donors.
• In coordination with National Director and Support Offices, develop and maintain pro-active relationships with bilateral and multilateral representatives in country.
• In coordination with the National Director, develop and maintain good relationships with national government ministries, other NGOs and the development sector in general.
• In coordination with the Senior Management team work closely with regional office directors in relation to implementation of Partnership initiatives, capacity building of national office staff and knowledge sharing within the region.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
1. Master’s degree in International Development, Program Management, Business Administration, Public Health, Economics, Rural Development or a related field
2. Minimum of 15 years post graduate experience in a large organization in work involving planning, implementing and reporting on development, relief projects and experience in managing over 50 dollar million program in a year.
3. Minimum of 5 years managerial experience in Portfolio and Program Management with a thorough understanding of all areas of project management cycles in a complex, international development organization.
All application letters and detailed CVs together with names of three referees should be addressed to
The Director, People & Culture, Email: email@example.com to reach us not later than January 29, 2013.
(Only short-listed candidates will be contacted).
World Vision is a child focused organization and upholds the rights and wellbeing of children. Our recruitment and selection procedures include screening and background checking for child abuse offenses. World Vision is an Equal Opportunity Employer.